Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Comics List This Week (plus Opinions!)

Y'know, I never seem to buy the comics everyone raves about. Never got into "Y: The Last Man." Picked up "Justice League: the New Frontier" long after it had come out (but have to admit, I love it), and started reading "Sandman" along about issue... something or other. However, I figure it doesn't matter. I read what I enjoy--mostly--and if something comes along that I like, well, I'll shell out a few more bucks for it. And if I stop enjoying, it's okay to move on.

For instance, I hadn't been a GREEN LANTERN or JUSTICE SOCIETY reader until I figured out Geoff Johns was the real deal. Can't say I'm wild about his extended Legion story in ACTION, but I'll cut him some slack-- he knows how to write a book.

On the other hand, I tried Greg Rucka's Question mini and found it wasn't my taste. Saw it through all five but I won't be back for another go-round. Ditto most of the tie-in miniseries spun off from COUNTDOWN and 52, though I like COUNTDOWN TO MYSTERY (RIP, Steve Gerber!) and plan to buy it all the way through.

Mike Carey and the X-team made me believe in the X-Men again, which is a minor miracle, while Dan Slott has me convinced he can write just about anything and make it work. By the same token, while I've enjoyed Peter David's work on many books in the past, his SHE-HULK is leaving me cold and I dropped the book a couple issues back.

Anyway, here's my list for this week:

  • AVENGERS INITIATIVE #10
  • BOOSTER GOLD #7
  • COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS 7
  • COUNTDOWN TO MYSTERY #6 (OF 8)
  • GEN 13 #18
  • GREEN LANTERN CORPS #22
  • JLA CLASSIFIED #54
  • SUICIDE SQUAD RAISE THE FLAG #7 (OF 8)
  • SUPERMAN #674
  • WALKING DEAD #47
  • WILDSTORM REVELATIONS #5 (OF 6)

No comments: