Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Field Report on Bruce in NJ, by Paul Skeen

Hey folks,
Paul Skeen, one of my oldest and best friends, saw Bruce's rehearsal show in Asbury Park. He also had a bit of extra luck when it came to the Boss, as his email describes...

I have very interesting Bruce story for you. Tuesday night my friend Rich asked if I could go with him to the Tuesday rehearsal show in Asbury.

Having seen the show the night before and the $100 price , I thanked him but said I'd have to hold off. The next day I asked if he was able to get rid of the ticket. He said he had,in a way.

He traded that ticket for 2 tickets to the Friday rehearsal show at the Meadowlands. His wife would then be able to get to see the show. Well, on Thursday his wife discovered she would not be able to go. He offered me the ticket for free.

Hmmm.

Free Bruce Ticket/the Arena was not charging for parking/3500 people in a 20,000 seat Arena.

I'm not an idiot.

The difference between Monday's show and Friday's was unbelievable. The sound was much improved, the band was tighter . The only thing they need to fix is a couple song transitions, which I know they will. The feeling of being in a 20,000 seat arena that only had about 3000-3500 people was surreal.

About 10 minutes before they came out they allowed everyone to go to the floor. We opted to move over a section and down about 7 or 8 rows. They only sold the side sections on the lower level for reserved seating and not that many general admission tickets.

To say the least, you are going to see a great show.

Here's the setlist:

  • Radio Nowhere
  • Ties That Bind
  • Lonesome Day
  • Gypsy Biker
  • Magic
  • Candy's Room
  • She's the One
  • Livin' in the Future
  • Promised Land
  • Town Called Heartache- Duet w/Patti
  • Reason To Believe
  • Darlington County
  • Born in the USA
  • Devils Arcade
  • The Rising
  • Last to Die
  • Long Walk Home
  • Badlands
  • Waitin' on a Sunny Day
  • Thundercrack
  • Born to Run
  • American Land w/ Larry Eagle & Lisa Lowell from Seeger Sessions Band
I have to say this. "Reason to Believe" was one of the best songs I've ever seen him do. I really hope you get it at your show.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Bruce show, Paul. Being the longtime fan you are, your opinion carries a lot of weight with me and Kat. Hope we'll see you and Belinda soon!

No comments: